“All that we are is the result of what we have thought.” ~Buddha
Manifesting, the Law of Attraction, The Secret, The Force…whatever you want to call it. It’s all generally the same idea.
Thoughts and feelings are ENERGY. Your life is a physical manifestation of the thoughts that you have, both conscious and unconscious.
To help move your life in a more positive direction, you need to stop focusing on the things that you DON’T want and start focusing on the things that you DO.
YOUR WORDS MATTER!
For example: You know that you need to pass a test. You’ve been studying like crazy and you know your stuff! You got this! But, if you keep thinking to yourself “I won’t fail this test!” While yes, not failing the test is a good thing ultimately, it puts energy to the thought of failing. It would be more productive for you to state “I will pass this test!”
Try your best to keep your words energized to the positive (PASS) as opposed to the negative (FAIL).
Have you ever noticed that if you start out having a bad day – you wake up feeling tired and achy or maybe you had a crappy dream – if you don’t clear out the negative, you’ll be in a bad mood and will continue to attract negative situations throughout the day?
While we can’t help having negative thoughts, we CAN control how we react. I realize that life has much to teach us and it’s not all sunshine and roses. Just don’t give that negativity any extra energy! When you do, you sabotage yourself and create blocks to your goals. Acknowledge the negative feelings and then let them go. Don’t get lost on the dark side.
When you feel good, you have a higher energy vibration and like a magnet, you will attract the same to you.
Part one: Affirmations
Morning fix: Start your day off with affirmations to set your intention for a positive day. Again, word them in the positive – “I will have a great day today” as opposed to “Today will not suck.” Get it?
As you lie in bed, think of all the things that you’re grateful for. Then begin to say your chosen affirmations for the day (out loud or in your head). It can even be as simple as “I am grateful to awaken to a new day!”
To get you started, think about how you would finish these sentences:
- Today, I will _____________________________
- Today, I am grateful for ____________________
- Today, I am capable of ____________________
- Today, I am worthy of _____________________
- Today, I deserve _________________________
- Today, I choose to ________________________
- Today, I trust my _________________________
- Today, I believe in ________________________
- Today, I am blessed with ___________________
You may have noticed that I started each affirmation with the word today. I personally feel like setting an intention for THAT day, as opposed an intention for an undefined amount of time, feels like I’m putting less pressure on myself. “Today, I will be positive!” is much easier to me for some reason than “I will be positive (forever and ever and ever without fail)”. I like to set myself up for success from the beginning!
And yes, I realize that affirmations can dredge up visions of Al Franken as Stuart Smalley.
“I’m good enough. I’m smart enough and doggone it, people like me!”
But, I can tell you…it works!
Besides, no one says your affirmations have to drip with cheese!
Part two: Visualization
Make your daydreams work for you!
One of the things I dream about having is a beach house where I can relax, have art classes and do healing treatments.
To help me to manifest this dream, I do the following visualization:
1) Sit in a quiet space where you will not be disturbed. Turn off your phone, TV, etc.
2) Take a few deep breaths to help myself relax and focus.
3) I picture my beach house in my mind. I can see the large windows that overlook the deck, beach and ocean, feel the sun on my face and smell the salt water. Sometimes, I can see myself teaching an art class in a room with a wall of windows or giving someone a Reiki treatment on a massage table in the middle of the same room, while listening to the ocean waves ebb and flow. Use your senses and FEEL as if you ARE there.
4) Then, I set my intention to have my beach house and ask that the universe* help me to manifest the tools to achieve this dream, with my highest and best in mind.
*You must ASK the universe (God, Creator or whatever you call your higher power) for help! The universe will not interfere with our free will without our permission. I always add “for my highest and best” just in case what I think I want, is not actually what is best for me.
5) Lastly, the hardest part of all (at least for me) = TRUST.
Don’t try to figure out how this is supposed to happen, worry that in your present situation you have no idea how it even could happen, or become impatient and lose hope waiting for it to happen. Just let go and trust that the universe will provide you with the means to manifest your desires.
This goes back to what I was saying before. Worry, fear and doubt will just bring more negativity to your life. As they say, like attracts like. Stay positive, trust and believe that it will happen and that the universe will provide the means. All you have to do then is to recognize the opportunities the universe provides for you!
Part three: Vision Boards
Some people have a hard time with visualization, for you I suggest Vision Boards.
Similar in intention to visualization, Vision Boards are a physical reminder of our hopes, wants and desires.
You can make a general board, career board, love board, or even a board for your perfect wedding! Whatever you’d like to focus on and manifest. You can have one board or as many as you like! Some people like to make a vision board for the upcoming year. The only rule to remember is that there are no rules!!
Creating your vision board:
1) Create a list of things that you want in your life.
2) Gather items remind you of your goals – pictures, phrases, quotes, pretty trims and embellishments – anything that helps to inspire you!
3) Pick your board – Poster board, corkboard, bulletin board, the side of your fridge, etc., and a glue stick, push pins, tape or whatever you need to affix your items to your board of choice.
4) Find some quiet time to create your board. Set up your space with all of your gathered items, perhaps play some music and focus on your intentions as you create your board. Look at each item as you add them. What feelings do they inspire?
5) When complete, set your intention and ask the universe to help manifest the tools necessary to help you achieve your goals, for your highest and best interests.
6) Place your board in a place where you will see it each day. Set aside a couple of minutes now and again to sit with your board and revisit the feelings each item inspired.
Feel free to leave some space so you can add to your board as you think of new goals. Add and rearrange your items when you feel the need.
Having a physical reminder will help to motivate to stay focused on your dreams and what you’d like to achieve.
And Finally – Be Specific!
One thing I’ve learned along the way is that the universe has a sense of humor.
When manifesting, be sure to be as specific as possible for what you’re asking for, otherwise you may end up with a literal interpretation.
If you ask for a million bucks and wake up one morning with a whole slew of male deer in your backyard, don’t say I didn’t warn you!